PORT LOUIS
Mauritius

is a Port of Call by the
USS Hassayampa AO-145
a
7th Fleet
WESTPAC Replenishment Ship


 in 1978
..............................................



Mauritius was known to the early Arab traders as it can be found marked on their maps, but the first visitors from Europe where the Portuguese, who landed in 1510. They used the island as a victualling stop on the way to Goa and Malacca but did not settle. The first attempt at colonisation was made by the Dutch, who arrived in 1598 and named the island Mauritius after Prince Maurice of Nassau. They introduced sugar, Malagasy slaves and a herd of Javanese deer. But they were also said to be responsible for the disappearance of the magnificent ebony forests and the extinction of the famous dodo. They eventually abandoned their settlements in 1710.


The French occupied the island between 1715 and 1810, renamed it Isle de France, and many place names are reminders of this period. Mahe de Labourdonnais, who took over as governor in 1735, rebuilt Port Louis and opened the first sugar mill. In 1810, with the British take-over, the name reverted to Mauritius. The abolition of slavery led to the importation of Chinese and Indian indentured labourers, who were followed by traders of their own nationalities.

Mauritius gained independence from Britain on 12 March 1968, and since then has been an independent sovereign nation within the British Commonwealth. Under the Coristituion, which is bad on the held every five years. On 12 March 1992, Mauritius became a Republic.


Go To Hassaympa Page.