<bgsound src="./media/04 - Ride To Fort Hays.mp3" loop=false>
with a barge load of highly needed supplies, she makes her way on
last part of the  84 mile voyage to Point Thomson from Harrison Bay.
At One point the tug forced her way through new ice up to a meter thick. "
Collin Hodgson".

The Arctic Class Tug "MICHELE FOSS
Along the coast, fast ice can cling to the shore in a solid, frozen sheet. At the top of the scene is the drifting sea ice. A dark blue strip of open water, known as a flaw lead, separates the fast ice from the drifting sea ice. The Brooks Range is visible at the bottom. (June 2001)
See two DETAILS of area at bottom of page.
Foss successfully completed a second sealift to Point Thomson in the summer of 2015. Four tugs, including the Michele Foss on her maiden voyage, towed four barges carrying oil field modules from Ulsan, South Korea 2,300 miles to the Alaskan petroleum field.
Members of the Michele crew photographed in DUTCH HARBOR after their successful mission in the Arctic,
are , from left  Patrick Miller, chief mate,    David Jankowski, able seaman,    Megan Mycraft, second mate,   
George Holden
, able seaman/cook,    James Moore, second mate,    David McCullough, able seaman,   
William Dubay
, chief engineer,    Donald "Dwaine" Whitney, captain and  Evan Davis-Hadaway, engineering assistant.

Read "1970" Comment from webmaster FRIEND, near bottom:
Hi Vern;  Back in the late 1970's I was the flag aide to RADM Dave Johnson who was Commander MSC.  We went on an inspection trip to Alaska to view the annual tug-and-barge contractors (at this point it was Crowley Marine) who delivered supplies to all the DEW (Defense Early Warning) radar stations along the north slope of AK.  We stayed at Naval Arctic Research Lab, PT Barrow, AK.  Crowley provided a twin engine Beechcraft plane and we flew along this very route, observing the tugs and barges at work. We landed at Prudhoe Bay for lunch and a tour of the pipeline terminal there.  Also saw where Wiley Post crashed back in the 1930's.  A very interesting couple of days.
The Crowley pilot was telling us that one year the ice never melted and the tugs were unable to do the resupply, so everything had to be air lifted in that winter for the DEW stations as well as the arctic research lab.  The lab had a pack of wolves in captivity and they really ate a lot, so 50,000 pounds of frozen chicken heads and necks had to be air lifted in for the wolves.  Your tax dollars at work!  Lary