Time Line - WWII to 1992
President Roosevelt orders integration of military forces in the Philippines known as the U.S. Armed Forces in the Far East (USAFFE)

July , the Dewey Drydock, which was at Subic for 35 years, was towed to Mariveles Harbor and scuttled on 8 Apr 1942 to keep the Japanese from getting it.
November 1st, the forward echelon of the 4th Marine Regiment arrives from China.
December 1st, the remainder of the 4th Marine Regiment arrives at Subic. The 4th Marines mission was to provide landward defense of Subic Bay.
December 14th, Japanese bombers conduct attack on Olongapo/Subic Bay area.
December 24th, The order is given to burn Subic Bay Naval Station and withdraw.  Olongapo is set aflame by the local filipinos in anticipation of Japanese troop arrival.  The USS New York is scuttled in Subic Bay.  The Marines withdraw into Bataan.
December 25th, Fort Wint (Grande Island) is evacuated.

January 10th, 14th Infantry Division, Japanese Imperial Army arrives in Olongapo.
January PT boats from Cavite attack and sink a Japanese ship at Subic Bay.
February 1st, A PT boat attacks a Japanese ship at Subic.
February 17th, PT boats make a final attack prior to being ordered out of the Philippines.


October 20th, 4 U.S. Army Divisions land at Palo, Leyte commencing the end of the Japanese occupation.

January 29th, 40,000 U.S. Army troops land at San Antonio Zambales.
September 26th, Marines land in Manila for occupation duty.
December 13th, In Manila, the Japanese transport Oryoku Maru was loaded with 1619 POWs from the Cabanatuan Prison Camp.  On the 15th the ship was sunk about 200 yards off the southern end of the main base of Subic Bay (then a Japanese Naval Base). Approximately 1300 of the POW survivors were kept within the confines of a tennis court with little to no food, water from a single spigot, and no shade, for 5 days, before being transported out again.  The tennis courts which served as a temporary prison were located immediately behind the Old Spanish Gate.

July 4th, Philippine's become independent.
Olongapo is reestablished across the drainage canal to it's present site.

March 14th, The Military Bases Agreement (MBA) is signed.

1948,  1949,  1950

October 2nd, The first Seabees arrive to start construction of NAS CUBI POINT.

1952,  1953,  1954,  1955

July 25th, President Ramon Magsaysay attends the commissioning ceremony at NAS Cubi Point.
July 25th, NAS CUBI POINT is commisioned.


January, Lee Harvey Oswald arrived at Subic Bay for Cubi Point, to be attached to MACS-1 in helping to set up a temporary radar tracking and control unit.

December 7th,The U.S. turns over control of Olongapo City to the Philippine government.
Magsaysay was under consrtuction between the months of July and September.
The new gate on Magsaysay was opened towards the last part of the year.

1960,  1961

Bagobantay, which was the transmitter site for San Miguel, located on the outskirts of Quezon City and used before Tarlac was built, was closed from operations. It was on the site where a World's Fair was once held before WWII.


The Main Exchange, Recreation Center and 100 housing units are built and finished in 1968.
An average of 98 ship visits a month.


Harbor Clearance Unit One is activated at Subic Bay.

August, USS Forrestal damaged by fire is repaired at Subic.
A 600 foot extension is completed at Alava pier.
An average of 215 ship visits a month with 30 ships in port a day.

June, A fire destroys a warehouse at NSD.
October, A record 47 ships in port at one time.
A bomber that took off from Cubi, had engine trouble after take off. The pilot ejected, and then the plane looped around, came back to Subic and crashed into a bunker located at Cubi Point Naval Magizine, which was full of 5" projectiles.
The earth at the base shook from a quake near Manila.

1969,  1970,  1971,  1972,  1973,  1974

Vietnamese refugees begin arriving at Subic aboard U.S. Navy ships that rescued them at sea.

1976,  1977,  1978

The Military Bases Agreement (MBA) is ammended, giving the Philippine sovereignty over the bases.


Martial law rescinded.

1982,  1983,  1984,  1985

February, People Power Revolution.


August, Super Typhoon Ruby rips thru Subic.

December 1st, 2 Navy Hospital Corpsmen, 5 Navy SEAL's and approximatley 107 Marines from B Co. Marine Barracks, Subic Bay arrive via CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters at the U.S. Embassy, Manila to reinforce the Embassy during a coup attempt.

July 17th, A tremendous eartquake registering 7.7 on the richter scale causing massive damage to Bagio City and Cabanatuan.

April 2nd, Mount Pinatubo began it's steam explosions.
June 15th, Mt Pinatubo eruption occurs.
June 16th, Navy ships began the evacuation of USAF Personnel, Dependents and Navy Dependents from Subic Bay.
September, Dependents start returning to Subic Bay.

Subic Bay was handed over to the Philippine Government and the US Military presents ended.

Goto: Story Index