Pacific Reserve Fleet
- STOCKTON, California
The Stockton Historical Maritime Museum acquired the former USS Lucid MSO-458,
and a collaboration agreement was established with the San Joaquin County Office of Education
to join with the museum in restoring this historic vessel as a floating museum ship
with direct historical relevance to the diverse shipbuilding history in Stockton.
In 1846, the first cargo boat ascended the
San Joaquin River. In 1848, John Doak established the first ferry
service on the river, and the first freight vessel,
the sloop Maria
, visited Stockton. In 1849, Doak brought lumber
from San Francisco to Stockton and began a lumber business. By the
1850s, the port had become
a center of commodity shipping and the supply center for the
goldfields. By the 1860s, the region saw a decline in gold production
and an increase in agriculture. WIKIPEDIA
Views of Reserve Fleet during 1950's
from the East "E"
Click for full image
from the West "W"
TOWN RESERVE MOORINGS
image is not easily spotted
This was easy to spot using the water tower.
Images from Stockton Library
A good history of the Pacific Reserve Fleet, STOCKTON has not been
Here are photos of three ships that were laid up in
the reserve fleet
APB-48 was placed here during the 1950's NavSource
USS Mountrail APA-213
USS Atlas ARL-7
OTHER HISTORY - STOCKTON
Go To: RESERVE