This memorial commemorates the Hudson River
Reserve fleet moored at this point in the river from April 1946 to
At peak of activity, 189 WW II cargo and passenger ships were anchored here. These ships after heroic WW II service were retained here
for possible further need. During years of grain surplus they acted as floating silos. Many were called upon again to carry food, fuel and
other essential supplies to aid our overseas friends and to support our armed forces abroad. They served their country well. Historical Markers
The memorial is located on west side of river, as marked in photo above. Click plaque for larger image.
Hudson River National Defense Fleet established by an
act of Congress in 1946, was first located off Tarrytown, one of eight
anchorages in the United States to provide a sizable group of merchant
support the military effort at the outset of any war. On April 30,
Hudson River fleet was moved further north to Jones Point (at one time
Caldwell's Landing) at the foot of Dunderberg Mountain. Here the
remained until the last two ships were towed away on July 8, 1971, to be
viewing points were established along Route 9W for the
hundreds of motorists who stopped daily to look at the ships. During
the Korean War, a total of 130
ships was taken from the Hudson River fleet leaving only 39 ships.
Suez crises in 1956, 35 ships were put back into service when British
French ships were diverted from trade routes to supply their nations'
forces. The Vietnam War required more than 40 ships. When the U.S.
of Agriculture in 1953 needed storage space for large volumes of
governmentowned wheat, it turned to the Hudson River Reserve fleet.
following ten years more than 53,563,948 bushels of wheat were loaded
system had been installed in the ships, making it possible
to maintain the quality of the wheat for long periods of storage. This
the U.S. government some five million dollars on commercial storage
ships were kept in condition on a year-'round basis by a crew of 86 men
the supervision of Charles R. Gindroz of Pearl River, fleet
one-time chief engineer on the George Washington. The reserve fleet
valued at over $255 million, had their machinery turned over
periodically and their internal surfaces sprayed with a coat
of preservative oil on a regular basis. Ships not sold for scrap from
Hudson River fleet were transferred to the James River fleet. Wikipedia
From the "LIVELY MORGUE"
"After victory in World War II, the United States Navy initiated a complex process to migrate portions of its massive armada into inactive status. This 1945 documentary explains the proper methodology for preparing a warship for the Reserve Fleet. Source: Naval History and Heritage Command, Photographic Section, UM-20." See Video
SS JOLIET VICTORY
was moored here!