The coastal liquid-bulk tanker Sagamore (formerly - Alaska Standard) heading for Pier 70 in San Francisco.
This tanker is 37 feet longer than the first Alaska Standard. The ship was a one-off design and had no sister ships. It was built for a specific service that could be handled by one ship, and performed its work successfully for almost three decades. It was launched in 1959 by Albina Engine and Machine Works of Portland, Oregon, for the Standard Oil Company of California. The ship was constructed to continue the duties of its predecessor, the first Alaska Standard, which was built in 1923. For 35 years, the earlier vessel supplied fuel to extremely remote towns and villages located along Alaska’s rugged coast, as well as to the camps of miners, trappers, and fishermen. The second Alaska Standard was designed by L. C. Norgaard & Associates of San Francisco, a company that was originally founded as a repair yard in 1904. The Alaska Standard was sold to Sealift Tankers, Inc. on August 26, 1986 and renamed Sagamore. It entered the Maritime Administration’s Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet sometime in 1989.
Source: Maritime Admistration photo by email@example.com