USSR Letchik Asyamov AG-57


A Kapitan Melekhov AG-51 Class Icebreaking Tug

Built by: St. Louis Ship, St. Louis MO (Ships) on 16 November 1944.

St. Louis Ship was located on the site at the foot of East Davis Street in the Carondelet section of St. Louis, where James B. Eads built the Union Navy's gunboats during the Civil War. It was called the Rohan Boat, Boiler & Tank Company when it was acquired by Herman Pott in 1933 and renamed St. Louis Shipbuilding & Steel Co. It closed in 1984.


Eight lend-lease river tugs of the AG-51 class and one older tug at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, on 19 June 1945 preparing to sail for Siberia. The Soviet flag at the mainmast shows that all are Soviet manned. The older tug, Yakutiya (built at Yokohama in 1937) may have been an escort for the less seaworthy river tugs or may have been returning from repairs in the U.S






Music by TIM BARRON SM3 1968-70 USS Kawishiwi AO-146