KAWISHIWI FALLS
by Jim Brandenburg
“Over the millennia, Native Americans, explorers and voyageurs of the fur trade used canoe routes of the region
 and portaged around these falls. For nearly 10,000 years, Kawishiwi Falls has marked a significant “coming together of waters.”


Click image for Video

Kawishiwi Falls, located off the Fernberg Road near Winton. The 67-foot falls is accessible via a foot-trail and viewing area.

The Winton Hydroelectric facility was built in 1922 by the Minnesota Utilities Company. It is located within the Kawishiwi Watershed, which covers 1200 square miles of land and water. This watershed includes Bald Eagle Lake, Gabbro Lake, North and South Kawishiwi Rivers, Isabella Lake and River, Birch Lake, White Iron Lake, Farm Lake, and Garden Lake. The 4 megawatt plant became part of the Minnesota Power system in late 1922.   From: Northen Wilds

Over the years, Native Americans, fur trading Voyageurs, explorers, loggers, and modern day water route travelers, fisher people, and hikers have used and portaged these falls.

Although Ely Greenstone (some of the oldest rock on the planet at 2.7 billion years old) can be seen in many places in the area, none is more spectacular than here at the falls, which fall, not perpendicularly, but in two parts, sloping and separated by a ragged rock wall. The noise, especially at spring run off, can be heard 2-3 miles away. From a Geocaching Player.



Go To: RIVER PAGE