|SS Hoke Smith
with anti-torpedo nets in place.
|SS Abraham Lincoln
|| Ab140 ton Liberty
named after the former president of the
International Union of Operating Engineers, was converted into
a pipelayer in 1944 and set fuel lines across the English Channel in the wake of the D-Day landings in
One of the
last Liberty ships from World War II,
anchored for years in the James River "Ghost Fleet."
It was stored in
The Huddell was retired in 1984 and was placed in the Ghost Fleet, off
A 2002 inventory of Ghost Fleet ships listed the Huddell as holding 80.6 long tons of oil.
Its hull scored a "3," or about average, on a scale measuring the potential for leaks.
Administration, in an agreement with the Greek government
from: LIBERTY SHIP.COM