USS Halawa AOG-12
A Navy GASOLINE TANKER
Halawa: A cape on the island of Molokai in the Hawaiian Islands.
An artist's sketch of the ship as designed and built in 1928-1929.
This ship became USS Halawa (AOG-12) in 1942.
Photo & Plans Source:
Marine Engineering and Shipping Age, April 1929, page 215.
Halawa Class Gasoline Tanker: Built in 1929 as Blue Sunoco, for the Sun Oil Co., at Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock, Co., Chester, PA.; Acquired by the Navy through the Maritime Commission in 1942; Commissioned USS Halawa (AOG-12), 10 August 1942, at Pearl Harbor Hawaii; Decommissioned, 25 October 1945; Transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet; Struck from the Naval Register, (date unknown); Final Disposition, sold, 5 July 1948, to Foss Launch and Tug Co.,, fate unknown.
Displacement 3,650 t.(fl); Length 255'; Beam 43'; Draft 16'; Speed 9kts;
Complement 63; Armament,  single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount.
Halawa was based at Pearl Harbor and vicinity during the entire war. She operated at the Naval Base and at Naval Air Station Kanoehe [sic; Kaneohe] supplying fuel oil and diesel fuel. The ship made occasional voyages to Palmyra, Canton, and Johnston Islands 1942-1944, supplying those bases with fuel. While returning to Pearl Harbor from Canton Island 21 December 1944 Halawa suffered a serious generator failure and was towed the rest of the way by tug ATR-12. After her arrival 26 December she stayed at Pearl Harbor until being towed to San Francisco after the war. Halawa arrived San Francisco 25 September 1945.
Profile and deck plan of the ship as designed and built in 1928-1929.
Note the absence from this plan of any exhaust system for the main propulsion diesel engines.