Click Image below for LARGE VIEW
Named for: The city of Duluth, Minnesota, which itself bore the name of Sir Daniel Greysolon De Lhut [Duluth] (1636-1710), the explorer who raised the French flag at the westernmost point of Lake Superior in 1679. LPD ships were named for cities that were named for “explorers and developers of America.”
Length: 569 ft Beam: 108 ft Draught: 22 ft Speed: 20 knots Complement: 101 officers, 1337 men
USS Duluth (LPD-6), an Austin-class amphibious transport dock, is the second ship of the United States Navy named for the city in Minnesota.
Duluth was laid down on 18 December
1963 by the New York Naval Shipyard.
She was launched
on 14 August 1965 and commissioned on
18 December 1965. She was the last ship to be launched from the
Brooklyn Navy Yard
before it was closed.
The Duluth arrived in Manzanillo on November 20, 2013 while under tow to Texas by tug SIMONE.
The tow left the Hawaii Area at 1000 hours on October 26, 2013.