Evangelistas Lighthouse - Pacific Ocean, Chile
Evangelistas Lighthouse is perched on a rocky islet about 30 km northwest of the western entrance to the Strait of Magellan, facing the full force of the 'Furious Fifties'; it is one of the most exposed lighthouses in the world. "Lighthouses"
The approach photo to Evangelistas Lighthouse above was taken by a ship captain that this webmaster encountered when creating information about the channel in Brownsville, the destination of the retired USS Constellation CV-64. See the page created for
Evangelistas Lighthouse is located at the Western Entrance to the Strait of Magellan, Region XII, Latitude 52° 23' 18" South; 75° 05' 42" West. It was opened in 1896 with a Light Range of 30 nautical miles.
The lighthouse construction, which lasted for five years, is one of the most relevant works carried out under the direction of the Scottish engineer George slight, due to the difficult access and harsh weather conditions that characterize the site. The idea of building this lighthouse arose before the increase of international maritime traffic through the Strait of Magellan, count of 1867, and the need to connect securely by sea the city of Punta Arenas with the rest of the country.
The continuing bad weather and steepness of the terrain made it possible for the first Chilean ship that went to the place should wait
for two weeks to be able to disembark, conditions that still exist for restocking. It has a tower of stone and cement, and
also has a concrete house for servers from the lighthouse. Its xenon bulb, by its light output, serves as a great support to the navigators.
Until today it is considered a monument to the effort of the Chileans.