USS Cabot CVL-28



Class: INDEPENDENCE    As built: Displacement: 11,000 tons (15,100 fl)
Dimensions:
600' wl (622' 6" oa) x 71' 6" (109' 2" fd) x 26' (max) / 182.9 wl (189.7 oa) x 21.8 (33.3 fd) x 7.9 (max) meters
Armor:
1.5"-5" belt, 3" main deck, 0.38" bridge
Power plant:
4 565-psi boilers, 4 geared turbines, 4 screws; 100,000 shp
Speed:
31.6 knots — Endurance (design): 12,500 nm @ 15 knots
Armament:
26 40-mm (2x4, 9x2); 16 20-mm — Aircraft: 30+
Aviation facilities: 2 elevators; 1 hydraulic catapult — Crew: approx. 1,560


Operational and Building Data

Ordered as the Cleveland-class light cruiser Wilmington (CL-79). Contract awarded to New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.
Laid down 16 Mar 1942. Reordered as carrier and redesignated CV-28, 2 Jun 1942; renamed Cabot 23 Jun 1942. Launched 4 Apr 1943.
 Redesignated as "Light Aircraft Carrier" (CVL-28) 15 Jul 1943. Commissioned 24 Jul 1943.
She was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation and nine "Battle Stars" for service during WW II; damaged by kamikaze 25 Nov 1944.
Decommissioned to reserve 11 Feb 1947.

Recommissioned 27 Oct 1948 as a Naval Air Reserve training carrier. Modernized for ASW support in Mar 1950-Feb 1951.
Decommissioned to reserve 21 Jan 1955. Reclassified as an "Aircraft Transport" and redesignated AVT-3, 15 May 1959, while in reserve.

Overhauled at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard (1965-67) in preparation for transfer to Spain.
 Loaned to Spain, renamed Dédalo and commissioned 30 Aug 1967; she was used as an ASW helicopter carrier and designated PH-01.
 Stricken from US NVR 1 Aug 1972; sold to Spain 5 Dec 1972.
Reclassified as an aircraft carrier and redesignated PA-01, 28 Sep 1976, shortly before she began operating Harriers.
Redesignated R-01, in accordance to NATO practice, in 1980.

Stricken from the Spanish Navy List, 5 Aug 1989, at New Orleans, and donated to a private organization for preservation as a museum ship.
Plans to memorialize her, however, met with no success in subsequent years (see Hazegray & Underway);
she was sold for scrapping in 1997 and towed to Port Isabel, TX (18 Oct), then to Brownsville (9 Aug 1998).
Further efforts to preserve the last of the World War II CVLs failed, too,

Video: "THERE's NO MONEY in MUSEUMS"

and stripping work began in Oct 2000;

2001 status

as of mid-2002, scrapping was nearing completion.

(visit USS Cabot Museum for more information and photos).


NAVSOURCE        Go to: All Star Metals